I love Italian food! My Polish self must have been given love of Italian food to me though osmosis by growing up in Chicago suburbia. Because of my love of Italian food, my kiddo gets to have GF versions. But, I was never able to find a lasagna noodle that I could use for her. Brown rice versions of pasta are just yucky… Then the light bulb moment happened.
I buy this product called A Taste Of THAI, rice noodles , straight cut. They are super easy and fast cooking rice noodles. I use them allot for my kiddo to make a variety of quick and easy things. I just love this product it is a for sure MOMMA MUST HAVE if your cooking GF.
I thought well since they are flat what if I just lined them up in the pan could this work to replace traditional Lasagna noodles? So I did, I actually laid down a layer in one direction and then put some on top in the opposite direction so that the spaces would be filled. My thought is like a thin layer of each direction with cheese and meat on top of this “weave of noodle”.
I did 2 layers of this with the sauce in each layer to help cook the noodles like the “No BOIL” type of regular lasagna noodle you can buy. Top with a final noodle layer and sauce. After 30 minutes it worked like a charm. The noodles tasted so good you would not know this was a GF meal and my kiddo was SUPER happy! With glee she gobbled down a second helping and said “Mom I must be like Garfield cause I love your lasagna”. Thats all I needed to know my idea worked….
Recipe for BEST EVER Gluten Free Lasagna
1 Package of A Taste Of THAI, rice noodles , straight cut (DO NOT COOK)
1-2 jars of favorite spaghetti sauce (I like Mur Glen organic brands)
1 lb ground beef (I use organic here too)
tub of either rigotta cheese (Organic Valley) or cottage cheese (Horizon organic brand drained)
2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese (Boars head cheese)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (I read the green Kraft is GF, but I like organic brand as much as possible)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Garlic to taste
Mix rigotta cheese, Italian seasoning, egg and Parmesean set aside.
Brown meat add garlic at end with some sauce simmer
1. Spread about 1/2 Cup sauce on bottom of pan
2. Place UNCOOKED rice noodles across bottom (not tightly just barely touching) then do another layer of noodles the opposite way.
3. Drop heaping Tablespoon scoops of rigotta mix onto layered rice noodles and carefully spread trying not to disturb layers of noodles. top with Mozzarells shredds
5. Layer another part with noodles again as before
6. Repeat with cheese, meat and sauce
7. Top with another layer of noodles and pour remaining sauce on top to cover noodles.
8. Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes (should be nice and bubbly)
9. Remove foil noodles should be soft and ready to eat
(if any noodles are sticking out and hard either push under sauce or just take out)
10. Cover the top with more Shreded Mozzarella and bake for another 10-15 min.
Momma Says: GF does not need to be hard, just think out the box and experiment. You can have a happy accident!
No Boil Gluten Free Lasagna