I have been trying to amp up the veggie intake lately for my kiddo, which is never a bad thing… So she loves pasta (like Mother like daughter) and I thought stuffed shells would be great because there really is not a big plate of pasta it is just the shell. Then I thought what to add inside.
My fridge had the usual so I thought why not use it all. My kiddo cannot have cows milk because of her milk allergy but the doctor told her that goats milk is different and she should not have a reaction and it is true, so if you have a allergy ask your doc if goats milk is OK, then you get to use some yummy CHEESE! Well since kiddo cannot have regular cheeses used in the Italian version of stuffed shells I thought I would use Greek seasoning that would compliment the goat cheese.
So I also added a can of chicken (yes they usually don’t taste well but rinse good and add lemon juice and it works to rid the weird taste) you can obviously just make this recipe using veggies but kiddo likes her meats..
The end result was SOOOOO Delicious! My kiddo wanted to stuff herself of stuffed veggie shells, so I promised to give her some left overs tomorrow and hide them so Daddy would not eat them all, LOL.
My recipe for Best Veggie Stuffed Shells
half bag of round sliced carrots, chopped into tiny pieces ( I used my Nicer Dicer on smallest setting plate)
couple Nice large Handful of Broccoli and Cauliflower chopped tiny (nicer dicer again!)
1 onion med size chopped tiny (yes nicer dicer woot woot)
Large tomato diced up tiny
* I like to make everything I chopped the same size that way they all cook evenly, plus you want it tiny (not minced) so it fits in the shells nicely. You can add whatever veg you have on hand I am sure it will work fine. I had enough veg to fill a my largest fry pan.
1 tsp minced garlic (one clove) or 2 if you love garlic
1-2 TBL olive oil
1 tsp Greek seasoning
large can of chicken (you can omit if you like rinsed well and little lemon juice to rinse through)
1-2 TBL tomato paste (if you don’t have just use your tomato sauce )
1/4 tsp celery salt
Salt and pepper to taste
3 0z (Half package) of creamy goat cheese I used Capricorn brand ( comes in 6 0z pkg-little mild flavor kiddo likes)
* you can substitute with cream cheese if you don’t like goat cheese
Large pasta shells
Muir Glenn Tomato Sauce Chunky tomato (personal Favorite)
Preheat oven 350
1. Boil and cook shells set aside
2. Put all chopped veg , salts and pepper and spice into pan with olive oil over Med heat and saute until soft
3. add garlic and 1-2 Tbls tomato paste (sauce) cook 1 min
4. add chicken minced up if you like
5. add goat cheese
6. if too dry add a little sauce 1-2 TBL, then stuff inside cooked shells
7. place half of jar of sauce on bottom of baking pan, place stuffed shells on top of sauce then drizzle with some sauce over tops
8. Cover with foil and put in oven for 20 – 30 min to cook through
9. Enjoy with a salad with red wine vinegar and olive oil and crusty bread.
Momma Says: You can add whatever veg but the minced chicken kept it light still, the cheese made this dish creamy and so yummy. With the sauce drizzled over the top it was just so good.
Best Veggie stuffed shells